PUPPY CARE AT KINGSBROOK ANIMAL HOSPITAL
The first wellness exam is an important part of establishing the health of your new puppy, and protecting your companion from disease and illness. Kingsbrook’s comprehensive puppy exam will ensure your new friend gets off to a healthy start. During their initial visit, we will perform a thorough physical examination and parasite screening. Puppies require a series of vaccinations during the first year of life to protect them from harmful, but preventable diseases. Our veterinarians will develop a vaccination program tailored specifically for their needs.
YOUR PUPPY’S FIRST EXAM WILL INCLUDE:
- A physical examination
- Vaccines customized for your puppy’s lifestyle
- Intestinal parasite (worm) screening and prevention
- External parasite (flea/tick) screening and prevention
- Heartworm screening and/or prevention
- Diet and nutritional counseling
- Behavior and training recommendations
- Microchipping recommendations
- Note: All initial puppy visits are scheduled for twice the length of regular appointments (at no additional charge to you) in order to make sure that you and your new family member start out on the right paw together.
Welcoming a new puppy into your family is an exciting time, but it can also bring up many questions and concerns (especially for first time dog owners). At Kingsbrook, we are here to provide your new buddy with everything he or she needs to grow up healthy and strong. Our veterinarians will address any questions you have concerning care, and we are more than happy to discuss topics such as diet and weight management, house training, and helping your pup adjust to their new home.
In preparation for your puppy’s first visit with us, it is helpful to bring the health information provided to you by the seller or shelter. This information should include a previous history of vaccines and deworming. We also ask that you bring a fresh stool sample, and bring your puppy on a leash or in a secure carrier.
LEARN MORE ABOUT PUPPY CARE BY BROWSING THROUGH THESE LINKS:
- Puppy – Getting Started off Right
- Puppy – House Training
- Puppy – Socialization and Fear Prevention
- Puppy – Training Basics
- Puppy – Training Come, Wait and Follow
- Puppy Behavior and Training – Biting
- Puppy Behavior and Training – Handling and Food Bowl Exercises
- Puppy Behavior Training – Training – Sit, Down, Stand and Stay
- Teeth, Teething and Chewing in Puppies