Poisonious Plant Alert


A plant called the “Sago Plam” or “Cycad” is a houseplant that is showing up in many home improvement stores. It is used in outdoor landscaping in the southern states but can only survive as a houseplant in the north. All parts of the plant, including the seeds and root ball are toxic to pets. Signs of illness first appear about 12 hours after ingestion and include gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. The toxins in the plant lead to severe liver failure with progressive weakness, jaundice, bruising and bleeding and other signs of liver failure that lead to death.

It is estimated that 75-80% of animals ingesting this plant will die in spite of aggressive medical treatment. If you have one of these palnts in your home you will want to be sure to keep it away from pets and children, preferably by dispoosing of it safely in a covered trash can or “rehome” it with someone who does not have pets or young children in the household.