When those big brown (or golden!) eyes are staring up at you, tugging at your heartstrings, it’s so hard not to reward your pet with a tasty treat. Unfortunately, almost 60% of all pets in the United States are overweight, which means there’s a good chance Fido or Fluffy doesn’t really need that treat. What else can you do to reward your pet for his or her above-and-beyond cuteness? Below, Kingsbrook Animal Hospital offers up some ideas on other ways to show your fur-baby some love.
- Go For a Walk Most pooches will really enjoy some extra time
outdoors with their favorite human. Getting up and getting active is also a great way to help banish that winter weight.
- Cuddle Up on the Couch Sometimes it’s just not possible to get outside, so give your pet a chunk of uninterrupted quality time and reconnect.
- Try Out A New Toy We love laser pointers and the Cat Dancer for our feline friends, and Kongs and puzzle toys for dogs. Try feeding your pet’s regular meal
in a food puzzle toy to add some mental stimulation.
- Schedule a Play Date Some pets really like the chance to interact with other animals. If this is the case for your furry friend, call up a friend with a trusted and vaccinated pet for yours to socialize with. Bonus: you’ll get some human socialization too!
- Bring Your Pet in For a Physical Exam This may sound counter-intuitive, but all pets should see a veterinarian once a year for an
annual check-up. Mature pets (8+ years of age) should have biannual check-ups, so that any age-related changes are noticed right away. Annual blood work, consults on behavior, and suggestions to help your pet age gracefully are just a few of the things the doctors at Kingsbrook Animal Hospital are able to help your pet with. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment!