301.631.6900

5322 New Design RD.
Frederick MD 21703

Veterinarians in Frederick MD Veterinarians in Frederick MD

Scroll Up

Seasonal Toxins-Flowers that Kill in Frederick, MD

Flowers that Kill.

Holiday seasons are laden with celebratory festivities. Food, family, and fun are usually on the agenda and many of our agendas follow a traditional pattern. Just as our schedules become a tradition from year to year, there are many gifts and traditional symbols of these holiday seasons that must be present or “it’s just not” that holiday!  For example: “It’s just not Thanksgiving until all the men fall asleep in front of the t.v. “watching” the football game!” Or, “It’s just not the forth of July until Uncle Eugene tries to set himself on fire lighting the fireworks!” You get the picture! 🙂  

 
The Easter holiday is no different. From chocolate bunny ears to dyed eggs- I’m sure you can name a few things on your own “it’s just not” Easter list. These things not only signify Easter, but the ushering in of Spring (Thank Goodness!) However, here at Kingsbrook Animal Hospital we would like to point out the things that might be on our list that “it’s just not” good for your pet to get into.
In this blog, we will talk specifically about the plants of the season that can be toxic to your pet and all of them can be found in Frederick, Maryland. What is typically regarded as a beautiful blooming plant can harbor toxins which can cause mild to severe clinical signs like stomach irritation, drooling, vomiting, abdominal pain, and even death. If you take inventory and notice that you have any of these plants or bulbs, please keep your pet away from them.
 

Lillies-
Calla Lilies are toxic to both dogs and cats

Easter lilies, stargazer lilies, and Asiatic lilies are all very toxic to cats.

Tulips and Hyacniths– toxic to dogs and cat- all of the plant is toxic but it is very concentrated in the bulb

Daffodils– Toxic to cats and dogs

Crocus– highly toxic to cats and dogs

If you think your pet has eaten part or all of one of the above plants or bulbs call us at 301-631-6900. Remove any of the plant that may still be in your pet’s mouth. It’s always a good idea to bring along any of the uneaten part of the plant with you to confirm identification and which parts were ingested. You can also call ASPCA Animal Poison Control at 1-888-426-4435 to help determine treatment recommendations.  

Here at KAH, we want you to enjoy your favorite flowers of the season. We hope that with the information above you can do this while avoiding any mishaps so that “it’s just not” a stressful event as well!

               

HOURS

M.T.F: 7:30a – 7:30p
W.Th: 7:30a – 6:00p
Sat:    7:30a – 1:00p