In addition to smelling like, well, a shunk, the musk from skunk’s can actually be toxic to dogs, especially when sprayed heavily in the face. Severely affected dogs can suffer from Heinz body anemia, which can lead to death. Skunk musk can cause less grave issues as well, as it is a potent skin and eye irritant. If your pet has suffered a direct hit to the face, keep an eye on his activity levels and check his gum color occasionally (they should be pink, with no hint of paleness). If anything changes, call your vet immediately.
Of course, the 64 million dollar question is how to get rid of the smell! Here’s a do-it-yourself remedy: combine a 16-ounce bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide, one box of baking soda, and three tablespoons of liquid dish detergent. Pour it over your dry dog and lather well. Allow the mixture to remain on the skin for ten minutes before you rinse and repeat (as needed!).
Fetch 2011 No.3 Issue 9