Holiday seasons are a time of celebration with friends and family-furry, four-legged ones included. But colder weather, decorations and parties can create safety hazards for pets. Make sure your holidays stay festive with these simple tips to keep your pet healthy and safe.
* De-icing products, salt and ice can get into fur and paws, causing skin irritation or more serious conditions. Wipe your pet’s paws and tummy when he comes in from the cold. Take care to wipe up spilled antifreeze-dogs and cats like the sweet taste and can ingest deadly amounts. Better yet, use pet-friendly asnitfreeze products.
* Keep holiday decorations out of your pets reach. Ingestion of glass, metal, ribbons or tinsel can lead to serious medical emergencies. Also, snow globes and artifical snow contain chemicals that can be harmful to pets if ingested or inhaled.
* Place live holiday plants high off the ground. Pretty as they are, ivy, holly, mistletoe, pointsettia, lillies and Christmas greens can all be toxic to animals when ingested.
* Everyone loves a party, but sometimes the hustle and bustle of holiday guests can frighten animals and cause them to run away. Designate a quiet, secure room for your pets away from the crowd and be sure that your pet is microchipped and wearing a collar with current ID tags.
* Fatty holiday meats can cause a number of gastrointestinal problems while bones can cause bowel obstructions or choking. And remember: no chocolate for pets. The sweet stuff contains a chemical that is highly toxic to pets.
The doctors and staff of Kingsbrook Animal Hospital wish your family a safe and happy holiday season.