301.631.6900

5322 New Design RD.
Frederick MD 21703

Veterinarians in Frederick MD Veterinarians in Frederick MD

Scroll Up

Chocolate Toxicity


This sweet Senior patient came into Kingsbrook with a history of consuming a large amount of milk chocolate the previous night. “Chipper” presented with symptoms of restlessness, pacing, panting and shaking. Although dark chocolate is more likely to cause toxicity, because of the large volume consumed and the small stature of the dog, it was determined toxicity was likely. Chipper was hospitalized on IV fluids and a variety of medications and is on his way to recovery, thank goodness!!

* Theobromide, a component of chocolate, is toxic to dogs. It can cause central nervous and cardiac stimulation, increased blood pressure, nausea/vomiting and death.

HOURS

Mon – Fri: 7:45am – 6:00pm
Sat:    7:45am – 1:00pm