Summertime is here, and that means thunderstorms, pretty flowers—and bees! They fly in an attention-getting pattern and make that nifty buzzing sound, so these insects are especially interesting to dogs and cats. Unfortunately, this puts our beloved pets at risk of getting stung.
Watching a pet experience a sting or bite can be scary, and sometimes pets have allergic reactions just like people. Here are Kingsbrook Animal Hospital’s tips on what to do if your pet has been stung:
- Get the pet away from any more bees! If a nest has been disturbed, it’s safest to stay at a distance and try to recall the pet. If the pet is outdoors, bring him or her inside.
- If you have diphenhydramine (Benadryl) tablets on hand, give the pet a dose. A veterinarian can tell you the appropriate amount; usually dosage is based on weight. It is fine to give it with a little food or a treat to make sure the pet takes it. Note
what time the medication was given.
- Keep the pet as calm as possible. This can be difficult in such a stressful situation!
- Bring the pet to the vet clinic right away. Call ahead and let the staff know that the pet has been stung and is experiencing an allergic reaction. If diphenhydramine has been given, tell them what time and how much.
- The veterinary staff will administer a diphenhydramine injection (if the oral form hasn’t been given already or if not enough was given) and possibly a steroid injection to help with the
- Owners are vital in helping to monitor the pet to watch for a decrease in swelling! Stay with the pet and offer comfort. Usually the staff will continue to monitor for 30-60 minutes.
- Once it’s safe to return home with the pet, administer additional oral diphenhydramine as per the veterinarian’s instructions. Continue to monitor for any other swelling or symptoms and call a veterinarian at Kingsbrook Animal Hospital right away if anything is out of the ordinary.