Kingsbrook Animal Hospital is strongly committed to employing environmentally friendly and sustainable business practices whenever possible. The medical community creates a large amount of waste, and we are doing as much as possible to decrease our environmental footprint. Read more about what we’re doing to help below:
- 100% Wind Energy: We are pleased to announce that our office is 100% powered by wind energy for our electricity needs. Wind power reduces carbon dioxide and our carbon footprint, plus, it helps eliminate air pollution problems such as smog and acid rain.
- We use Recycled Products: any paper products we use contain at least 50% post-consumer recycled content (including printer paper, paper towels, tissues & bathroom tissue. Even the paper bags that go home with medications and products are made from 100% recycled paper!
- We recycle: All paper, cardboard, aluminum, metal, glass, plastic and even syringe cases and Styrofoam are recycled!
- Dead Batteries are collected and sent to be recycled
- Old computers/printers are sent to a facility that specializes in recycling them.
- Plants that have outlived their usefulness are taken home by staff members to help keep a “green environment” in their own homes
- Ice packs from medical supplies are re-purposed for patient comfort when needed and to keep specimens cool on their way to the lab.
- Packing peanuts and bubble wrap are given to local shipping companies for re-use.
- Our printers use solid ink technology: no toner cartridges to end up in a landfill.
- X-rays are taken digitally, no chemical processing to go down the drain and fill the Bay, no film, no waste.
- We use “paperless” medical record keeping
- We replaced our HVAC system with a system that uses 23% less energy than the original, yet provides improved levels of comfort.
- Biodegradeable, non-toxic cleaners and soaps are used whenever possible
- Pharmaceuticals are never flushed or washed down the drain.
- Fluorescent lighting is used in most areas of our hospital, using far less power than incandescent bulbs.