According to data analysis by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), almost 1,000 house fires every year are accidentally started by pets. National Pet Fire Safety Day is on July 14th, so the veterinarians at Kingsbrook Animal Hospital in Frederick MD have shared some fire prevention tips!
- Be careful with open flames. Many pets are curious and will likely investigate candles or fireplaces. NEVER leave pets unattended around an open flame.
- Invest in flameless candles. A wagging tail can easily knock over a lit candle, leading to fires. Flameless candles use a flickering light bulb instead, and many are LED-based–which almost completely negates a fire hazard.
- Purchase stove knob covers. The NFPA says that a stove or a cook top is most likely to be involved when pets start fires.
- Beware of glass water bowls on wooden decks. Sun rays are refracted through the water and glass, heating both elements. This can heat up and ignite the wooden deck.
- Secure cords and hide them behind furniture. Some dogs and cats see cords as chew toys, and damaged cords can cause electrocution and/or fires.
Fires are scary for everyone involved, and prevention is key! Take advantage of Pet Fire Safety Day to ensure a safe, fire-proof home. Keep checking Kingsbrook Animal Hospital‘s Facebook page during the month of July for more pet fire safety tips.