According to data analysis by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), almost 1,000 house fires every year are accidentally started by pets. National Pet Fire Safety Day is on July 14th, so the veterinarians at Kingsbrook Animal Hospital in Frederick MD have shared some fire prevention tips!
- Be careful with open flames. Many pets are curious and will likely investigate candles or fireplaces. NEVER leave pets unattended around an open flame.
- Invest in flameless candles. A wagging tail can easily knock over a lit candle, leading to fires. Flameless candles use a flickering light bulb instead, and many are LED-based–which almost completely negates a fire hazard.
- Purchase stove knob covers. The NFPA says that a stove or a cook top is most likely to be involved when pets start fires.
- Beware of glass water bowls on wooden decks. Sun rays are refracted through the water and glass, heating both elements. This can heat up and ignite the wooden deck.
- Secure cords and hide them behind furniture. Some dogs and cats see cords as chew toys, and damaged cords can cause electrocution and/or fires.
Fires are scary for everyone involved, and prevention is key! Take advantage of Pet Fire Safety Day to ensure a safe, fire-proof home. Keep checking Kingsbrook Animal Hospital‘s Facebook page during the month of July for more pet fire safety tips.
Summertime is here, and that means thunderstorms, pretty flowers—and bees! They fly in an attention-getting pattern and make that nifty buzzing sound, so these insects are especially interesting to dogs and cats. Unfortunately, this puts our beloved pets at risk of getting stung.
KAH client service representative Kelly says her boy Wyatt loves to sniff flowers!
Watching a pet experience a sting or bite can be scary, and sometimes pets have allergic reactions just like people. Here are Kingsbrook Animal Hospital’s tips on what to do if your pet has been stung:
- Get the pet away from any more bees! If a nest has been disturbed, it’s safest to stay at a distance and try to recall the pet. If the pet is outdoors, bring him or her inside.
- If you have diphenhydramine (Benadryl) tablets on hand, give the pet a dose. A veterinarian can tell you the appropriate amount; usually dosage is based on weight. It is fine to give it with a little food or a treat to make sure the pet takes it. Note
Brightly-colored flowers attract bees! Watch pets closely around plants that could be hiding insects.
what time the medication was given.
- Keep the pet as calm as possible. This can be difficult in such a stressful situation!
- Bring the pet to the vet clinic right away. Call ahead and let the staff know that the pet has been stung and is experiencing an allergic reaction. If diphenhydramine has been given, tell them what time and how much.
- The veterinary staff will administer a diphenhydramine injection (if the oral form hasn’t been given already or if not enough was given) and possibly a steroid injection to help with the
Poor Miss Hazel caught a bee! Fortunately her owner recognized the symptoms and rushed Hazel to us right away.
- Owners are vital in helping to monitor the pet to watch for a decrease in swelling! Stay with the pet and offer comfort. Usually the staff will continue to monitor for 30-60 minutes.
- Once it’s safe to return home with the pet, administer additional oral diphenhydramine as per the veterinarian’s instructions. Continue to monitor for any other swelling or symptoms and call a veterinarian at Kingsbrook Animal Hospital right away if anything is out of the ordinary.